Saturday, June 05, 2010

so much I do not know...

We have been sorting out old family photos...of my dad and mum and their parents and grandparents and so on...we don't have many...and I realise there is so much that I do not know about my family history...I do not even know names...mum knows a lot as does my aunt...so I really must start finding out...

I found two really old photos amongst Nana's stuff (my mum's grandmother) She was a war bride from England...she met my maternal great grandfather during WWI...he was wounded but survived...

These photos are of the Lady Bagot Hospital of Friendship in Adinkerke , Belgium...I have no idea who they are ...there is references to the "everyman" bed on the back of both photos...and you can see it written above the bed on the piece of paper in the first photo...I am wondering if that is the name for an unknown soldier???

I am wondering if my Grandfather was in this hospital...I am trying to research but not finding much...



But I did stumble upon a reference to my paternal great grandfather (my grandmother's father) who was killed in the battle of the Somme...there was his name on the Amble War Memorial...his wife and children then immigrated to Australia...

My knowledge is vague...I really need to talk to my mum and aunt and write this stuff down...I haven't really been all that interested before...there is so much I should have asked my dad, my grandparents...

If anyone has any ideas or information about any of this please share! Lissy

No comments: