Thursday, August 12, 2010

multiplication and montessori maths...

Last night I went to a Parent Montessori Maths Evening at school...it was focusing on multiplication in lower primary...year one to three (6-8 year olds)...

Maths has never been my strong point and it was fabulous to see how they approach it at our school and the equipment they use...it is all very hands on and concrete to develop real understanding...rather than just learning the Times Tables song...

Evangeline is 6 and a half and is working on her 1s, 2s and 3s times tables...initially it is all hands on with no writing so they learn the concept of groups of and lots of...

They start with equipment like the multiplication board ...this one is doing the 5s...and they add a row of beads for each group of five and then count...
And the bead chains...there is one chain for each number...this picture shows the 6s chain...so they learn to count in groups of six putting number markers of 6, 12, 18 and so on...then see how much 6 lots of six makes (squared) and so on up to a 6 cubed block as a visual...And then move onto equipment such as the Pythagoras Board...and some other written work...
If I had been taught like this I am sure I would have had a better understanding of maths...I am so happy Evangeline is learning maths in this way...I am looking forward to the next sessions...Lissy

No comments: