Saturday, December 04, 2010

helping the children...

I couldn't get to sleep last night...and I got to thinking...about helping the Children of the Forest children...and why I do it...I cannot bare the thought of children being vulnerable and going without...the movie Slum Dog Millionaire still gives me nightmares...

As for the Children of the Forest...here is the update...

Mark (Manager, the Children of the Forest Foundation) says...

"We have 138 kids living with us on site.

About 100 are in our full care.

38 children are with mothers in one of the steps of COF Mother and Child Protection Program.

The children range in age for 6 months to 18yrs.

About 60% are girls.

6 months to 3yrs - 8 children.

4yrs- 8yrs - 40 children.

8yrs to 12yrs - 40 children.

13yrs to 18 yrs- 50 children"

And  helping these children is keeping me very busy!...recently 150 pairs of underpants were collected and sent thanks to the girls in Hyden...for the Undie Drive...though this is only one pair per child so I am hoping to send some more...so keep them coming...especially underwear for teens...and if you have any bras available they are always needed....

I have made and sent 11 skirts...for our part in Craft Hope... I hope to get a few more made and even try some shorts and pillow case dresses...and maybe some back packs from the book....

And 110 soft toys have been posted...one family donated this...yes 6 garbage bags of toys...collected by Sharon and delivered to me...amazing....These are for our Something to Love for Christmas collection...And all of which have been posted in the last couple of weeks...Parcels of donated clothing and shoes are sent on a regular basis...

And 140 toothbrushes were sent this week...which was my addition to this weeks shopping list...and I found Target sell packs of 15 pairs of white socks like these ones for $15...perfect...so a grabbed some of them as well...They need them as part of their Thai school uniform...

And my girls have found more spare change around the house and in the car for our $2 a month project...so we have now collected $9.15c...which includes our 5c jar...

How are your collections of 5c coins coming along?...

And don't forget to join in my Christmas Giveaway....just see the post below and leave a comment...Lissy

No comments: