Friday, February 04, 2011

Chief...

Well I have had an interesting day…I had decided after things not working out with Rosie I should only look at geldings...So I started my search again...

I was supposed to see a horse this morning…Banjo (grey anglo arab)…but the owner cancelled…saying she instinctively knew he was not the horse for me...very strange I thought...but she was right!

Then I went to see Sunny a very nice and quiet 11year old 15hh uneducated palomino…I liked him but no trial possible….Shauna like him too...

So last minute I phoned up about Chief…I was unsure as he is a 15.3hh (tall), only 5 years old and a thoroughbred….I said I did not want a Thoroughbred ex race horse...but still he sounded great…

I was planning to go and see Sunny again tomorrow morning with Mike, our farrier / horse breaker and buy him…

But thought I should see Chief just to be sure…so I went to look tonight with Shauna…

And low and behold he is the quietest non race horse type Thoroughbred I have come across...

He even siddles up to mounting block…and with a little tap moves his bum in ..can mount from either side..so it doesn't matter that he is taller...

And he was very comfortable…

He was quiet to handle and has lovely soft eyes...a good sign!

Shauna loved him..fortunately he is too slow and quiet to be an eventer or show jumper (which is why he is being sold) as I think Shauna would steal him to start show jumping again! But I shall let her pop him over a few jumps for fun!


So I left a deposit…I need to go back mid week to ride him again as he hurt his leg yesterday so is a bit lame…then vet check and bring him home for a trial...

I have asked Charity (his owner) to come and give me Parelli lessons with him! Chief is Level Two Parelli. Parelli is a natural horsemanship thing...

And I should like Evangeline and Bella to learn as well. It is all about developing rapport and trust with your horse...and giving them signals to do things..it is also all about safety...which is so important...

So I have had a very interesting week! And now I am very excited...it is going to be a long few days until we can bring him home! I am so glad I didnt' let his size and breeding put me off! Lissy

No comments: