Wednesday, February 23, 2011

more equine and canine mozzies sagas...

Well not only are the mosquitoes keen on thoroughbred horses they also seem to like Wiemaraner dogs....I noticed Jazz had a lot of bumps on her last night too...so sprayed her with repellent as well...

Then this morning I got up to see this...look at her poor nose...so I took her off to the vet... a couple of injections and some pills to give her and hopefully it will start to heal in the next 24 hours...so long as she doesn't keep scratching...cream is no good as she licks it off...

I was relieved to see when I took Chief's bug rug off today most of his lumps were going down under the coat...but his face was still munched...

I bought some pour on repellent to use tonight...and some cream to put on his ears and nose...it stinks but he was fairly tolerant...and a new fly mask he can wear at night...I am putting garlic in his feed and apparently yellow sulphur is good too...

I might try and give Jazz garlic too...and I have put a huge mosquito zapper over near the dog yard to see it that helps control mosquitoes around the yard and horses...

I will keep spraying them, using the stinky cream on their noses and using the bug rug over the next few weeks until hopefully the mosquitoes bugger off!

So about $400 in vet bills, bug rugs, sprays and potions later we are beating the mozzies hopefully! Apparently the council has not been spraying so much recently...Lissy

No comments: